Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Assertiveness

If you know me well at all, you know that I hate confrontation. I will avoid it at all costs. And the second I am in a compromising position, where I am uncomfortable talking with someone, I cry at the drop of a hat. I hate that I am so sensitive sometimes and that I cannot stand up for myself more often. Well, you could say that I am working on that. Tonight at work, something happened with my second shift manager that pushed me over the edge. I was so angry, I knew that this would the night I would finally stand up and say something to her, not only for me, but for everyone else that works with me on my shift. I was so mad, my mind was just reeling with things that I wanted to say to her. My adrenaline was pumping so hard, I felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack, and I couldn't focus on what I was doing at all. I just kept praying to God that He would help me stay calm, and have the wisdom to say the right things. I finally got a chance to get her alone in our break room with me, and we ended up talking for over an hour and a half. I won't get into detail about the situation but hopefully a lot of good will end up coming out of it. I believe that when we both left the room, no animosity was between us, thankfully. It just really needed to be done. I was sick and tired of constantly hearing people complain about her and other situations, but no one was willing to do anything about it. No one wants to stir up the pot anymore than it already is, or get on her bad side, even though they all dislike her, it just doesn't make sense. But anyways, I guess the point is that I am proud of myself! And I feel so much better now, and everything is out in the open. If people would just go straight to other people and be open and honest with them, and handle the situation directly instead of gossiping, the world would be such a better place! If only that could be a reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree! Instead they bicker and complain and nothing gets resolved especially if the person is unaware of what was done.
I am not very good at conflict either. I am getting better!